Each week during my Homeschool Group Golf Classes I focus on one or more of the First Tee 9 Core Values. I firmly believe that junior golfers become people of character as they learn them and actually apply them in their everyday lives. That belief allows me to look forward to the future with hope.
While some junior golfers take the initiative to learn and apply, most need a helping hand or a gentle push from a parent, mentor or even an older sibling. It is my hope that the discussion questions that follow will be used as conversation starters in the car, during dinner or casual walk. Try one soon and let me know how it goes. Remember, these are not one-time conversations.
Core Value Discussion Questions
1. Respect is being polite and kind in one’s actions. What are some ways you can be respectful at home? What are some ways you can be respectful outside of the home?
2. Courtesy is being or acting polite to others. What are some ways you can be courteous at home? What are some way you can be courteous outside of the home?
3. Responsibility is it’s up to me, I am the one myself and others depend on to make it happen. What are some ways you can be responsible at home? What are some ways you can be responsible outside of your home?
4. Honesty is telling the truth. Describe a time where you were honest.
5. Sportsmanship is playing by the rules and acting nice to others no matter if you are winning or losing. Describe a time you were exhibiting sportsmanship.
6. Confidence is a feeling of “I can do it!” Describe a time you felt confident. What are some ways you can help yourself be more confident?
7. Judgment is to make a decision or form an opinion. What are some ways you can use good judgment at home? What are some ways you can use good judgment outside of your home?
8. Perseverance is to keep going to matter what. Describe a time you had to persevere and what helped you keep going.
9. Integrity is knowing the difference between right and wrong; doing what is right even when no one is looking. Describe a person you think has integrity.
10. Complete the following statement. I will use the core value of ____________at least once every day by __________________________ because ________________________.